These easy Dairy Free Buttermilk Pancakes are are healthy and delicious. A simple trick with almond milk makes buttermilk! You can still have these simple fluffy pancakes for breakfast without the dairy!
Dairy free pancakes with buttermilk? That seems impossible, right?
It’s not, at least not entirely. It is possible to get the same fluffiness of a Buttermilk pancake, but without the dairy. How do I know? It all started on a day I needed to make Buttermilk pancakes, and conveniently didn’t have any around. And THAT’S when I turned to the internet.
It was a lazy Saturday morning and Anthony asked if I would make pancakes. Pancakes? That’s easy! But his request was for “real” pancakes…um, what? He said he didn’t want any of my favorites: my banana blender pancakes, pumpkin flax pancakes, or one of my very favorites, my zucchini bread pancakes. But those are all my favorites–how could he deny them?!
He wanted pancakes like you get at the diner. Oh dear, that wasn’t easy at all.
Diner pancakes have one thing that I did not have: buttermilk. If you recall, I mentioned it was a LAZY Saturday so the obvious answer, going to the grocery, was out of the question. But low and behold, the world wide web proved to be quite helpful.
But how do you make dairy free Buttermilk?
Did you know that if you combine vinegar and milk you can make a substitute for buttermilk? Well you can! The combination has the same result that adding buttermilk would have. So there, problem solved.
When I whipped these pancakes up, they came out to be the fluffiest, most delicious pancakes–the best you can without the real deal. But I am sure you are wondering what Anthony thought. Let’s just say he has no idea that the ‘buttermilk’ was actually not buttermilk at all. He ate a whole stack with zero complaints.
So the weekend is just around the corner, and you don’t need to make another trip to the grocery to prep for making these because you surely have everything in the pantry already! How convenient is that??
How to serve these dairy free pancakes:
- You can never ever ever go wrong with classic maple syrup. That is always my topping but that doesn’t mean I don’t sway from the norm.
- A dash of cinnamon and pecans stirred right into the batter.
- Any and all berries and chocolate chips tossed into the batter are also great.
- A big smear of a fresh jam or some sort of compote is a fun way to change up the typical stack.
- Whipped cream anyone? Try one of these dairy free whipped creams on top!
- Sprinkle your favorite granola and a big dollop of dairy free yogurt on top with some fresh berries
- Pancake Skewers anyone? Cut these up and slide them on a skewer with fresh fruit and make a fun breakfast treat!
Looking for more delicious and dairy free breakfast recipes? Check these out!
- Dairy Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Split Muffins
- Double Chocolate Blender Pancakes — Chocolate for breakfast never ever gets old!
- Blueberry Baked French Toast Muffins— These are a MUST try if you love anything sweet on the go in your mornings.
Dairy Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 c milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar white vinegar will work as well
- 1 3/4 c unbleached flour gluten free all purpose flour will work as well
- 2 eggs
- 2 - 3 T sugar or desired sweetener
- 2 T oil (I use canola)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Combine milk and vinegar and whisk. Allow to sit for about 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla, maple, and 'buttermilk.' (vinegar milk combination.)
- In another bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Try not to over stir. There will still be lumps. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes if time allows.
- Oil a skillet and heat desired size pancakes until edges begin to bubble around the edges.
- Flip and heat several minutes until browned to the desired level.
- Serve with your favorite pancake toppings.