Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
Nothing beats a bowl of chili on a cold day! This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili is full of flavor and the perfect cozy meal for the family. Put everything in the crock pot in the morning and come back later to dinner!
- 3 large sweet potatoes skin removed and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 can diced tomatoes (15 oz. each)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz. each)
- ¼ c tomato paste
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 bell pepper, diced (any color works!)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- ¼ - ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ - 1 tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
Combine all ingredients except the tomato paste into slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours or until sweet potatoes are soft.
When sweet potatoes are fully softened, add in tomato paste to thicken chili. Allow to sit for several minutes before serving.
Serve with shredded cheese, avocado or a bit of cilantro. This is even better the second day so leftovers are a bonus!
- The best way to tell if this chili is ready is by the sweet potatoes. When the sweet potatoes are soft, you are basically good to go. I like to make sure as many of the sweet potatoes as possible are on the bottom of the pot so that they are more likely to evenly soften.
- I have made this chili a million times at least--it freezes really really well. I put it in individual servings and then pull them out when I need a cozy meal and don't feel like cooking.
- You can add some meat into the mix if you would like--I do quite often to make the hubby happy. When I add ground beef or turkey, I cook it in a skillet first and then add it in. If you find the chili to be a bit too thick once adding meat in, add an extra can of tomato sauce.
- Feel free to play around with spiciness of this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili. Toss in some hot sauce, dice up a jalapeño or add some cayenne. Tossing in some smoked paprika is also a great idea if you want a smoky flavor.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1247mg | Potassium: 1464mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 10440IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 7mg