Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup. Nothing warms you up like a thick, hearty soup on cold days. This soup packs in lots of vegetables, beans and whole grain pasta. Have it with a grilled cheese or as a meal by itself!
Slow down with some Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup
Tis’ the season to cram everything into our already jam packed schedules, right? I was looking at my calendar and started feeling like December is already over as there is no more room to fit anything else in. On the other hand, there has been a lot of talk about being present this season. The season has been a lot about presence instead of presents. But at the end of it all, I feel like I am not nailing any of it.
A friend of mine recently shared something that she uses to refocus herself to what’s going on right here and now. Maybe it is time that I heed this advice and give it a try myself. She says she asks herself, What time is it? NOW. Where am I? Here. Such simple wisdom and yet this week for me it has been more like, What time is it? Shoot! How am I going to get everything done in time? Where am I? … … Hello? Where am I? …Oh! Me? Where am I? Good question!
Sipping on a nice comforting bowl of soup in some way helps me to just slow down. Since it’s too hot, you can’t rush or you are gonna scald your tongue. It’s far from finger food so you really have to sit and be present as you eat soup. Is soup the answer to the fact that I am more scatterbrained? Hardly, however, if it gets me to slow down and savor a moment or two, then yes, I am all for it.
Short on time? That’s ok, Vegetable Soup is here.
As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, I have so much to do with so little time. I believe I promised to have this recipe up by Tuesday and it is now 5 days later. What time is it? NOW. Where is this recipe? HERE. Ha!
Here are a few things to know about this Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup:
Can I freeze this Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup?
Yes! I make a couple batches and then freeze one large container and then the rest in individual freezer save containers. This makes for easy grab and go lunches or dinners for when I don’t have the time. I find that it freezes well and do it quite often.
What to serve with this Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup:
- Big pieces of crusty bread–you know soup and bread are a perfect match!
- Grilled Cheese is ALWAYS a good idea with soup, right?
- A good soup and salad night is always a great option. And this Spring Green Salad with Sourdough Croutons is a great option. This Caprese Farro Salad would go right along with the flavors of the soup for sure!
- A fun cheese plate on the side would be delish as well!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT:
Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 T basil I sometimes sub Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp parsley
- 6 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cans/4 cups kidney beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes BPA free
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup whole grain or gluten free pasta uncooked
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- Chop carrots, celery and onion. Saute the veggies in large soup pot until onions are translucent in a tsp of olive oil or oil of choice.
- Add in minced garlic, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, basil, parsley, bay leaf, and tomato paste. If you like a thick broth, add 1/2 cup tomato paste. For a thinner broth, add 1/3 cup or less. Cook on medium for about 30 minutes or until carrots and celery are tender. Stir occasionally. The soup should be at a very soft boil so make adjustments to your stove's needs.
- Add in spinach and uncooked pasta. Continue to heat at a soft boil for another 15 minutes or until pasta is completely cooked. Add more seasonings to taste and simmer until ready to serve.
- If you decide to add zucchini, chop and add in number 2. If adding cabbage, add with spinach and pasta in number 3.