My love and appreciation for cashews continues to grow each and every day. They are just so versatile and can easily be used in creams and sauces in the same way heavy creams and dairy would be used. It’s unreal. Last week, I made a creamy tomato basil pasta recipe from the Oh She Glows cookbook that used cashews as the base for the cream sauce. The husband was none the wiser and that’s when I know it’s really good.
Last month, I introduced my first cashew ice cream with the Cinnamon Pecan Cashew Ice Cream and am very pleased to add another to the arsenal. In Cincinnati, we have Graeter’s Ice Cream. It’s ice cream made the real way and it is creamy and just unbelievable with big chunks of dark chocolate, pecans, and other add ins. This stuff is top notch. It’s a treat for sure, not something you would want to eat everyday, but worth every spoonful when you do!
Graeter’s has seasonal flavors throughout the year. My very favorite flavor at Graeter’s also happens to be a seasonal flavor. This is probably a good thing! Strawberry Chip is where it’s at if you ask me. Every summer, I am so excited to see it up on the list of flavors. The dark chocolate chunks and strawberries are no joke. It’s what summer should taste like!
Spring was in the air this weekend so I definitely had ice cream on the mind. Since I only get my Strawberry Chip once a year, I figured it would be a good idea to recreate it for when I am really craving it. As I mentioned, cashews are so incredible so I decided to go with a cashew base for this ice cream.
You really don’t need an ice cream maker. As with the Cinnamon Pecan flavor, I made it with and without the ice cream maker and there was a slight difference, but nothing major. The ice cream maker really just cuts out a lot of time and makes it a bit creamier I think.
My mom did a little taste testing of this ice cream and thought it wasn’t sweet enough. The sweetness was just fine for me, so feel free to add up to 1/2 cup if desired. Enjoy!
Strawberry Chip Cashew Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 c raw cashews soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 c milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 12 large ripe strawberries if using frozen, thaw first
- 1/4 - 1/2 c pure maple syrup depending on desired sweetness
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 T chocolate chips
- In a high powered blender, combine all ingredients but the chocolate chips and 2 of the strawberries.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- If you have an ice cream maker, feel free run it in the ice cream maker for about 10 minutes or so adding the chocolate chips and last two strawberries (shopped) in the last minute. (Freeze for about 2 hours to set).
- If not using an ice cream maker, pour mixture into a freezer safe container and stir in chocolate chips and the last two strawberries (chopped)
- Place in freezer and make sure to stir a bit every hour for about 4 minutes.
- When ready to eat, allow to thaw for about 10 minutes or so before serving.