This Simple Ground Turkey Skillet Dinner recipe makes dinner a breeze! Only one pan needed and ready in under 30 minutes, packed with vegetables and lots of flavor. It will be a hit for the entire family!
I have to let you in on something.
I do NOT like cooking dinner.
It’s my least favorite meal to plan and my least favorite meal to make. By the end of the day all I want is something simple and no fuss. I would be happy with a bowl of cereal some nights even. Truth be told, I am a breakfast kind of girl. I love making it and I love eating it So I guess breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite nights of the week when it comes to cooking dinner.
I find that when I meal plan, Anthony always wants something other than what I have planned for the night so that never seems to help the situation. Also, when your husband raves over the Kraft mac n’ cheese you finally break down and start making him, getting overly creative in the kitchen for dinner is also not the best option either. I have served plenty of meals with the first thing out of his mouth being, “What is this??”
I really find that if I use my slow cooker then dinner time is a breeze. It’s so simple to toss a last minute salad or heat up some rice before dinner and then scoop out what’s been cooking all day from the slow cooker. So crock pot recipes are my favorite. But using the crock pot every night isn’t always a thing. Sometimes I don’t get around to putting everything together early enough. So I have to have some other dinners up my sleeve that are QUICK and SIMPLE.
This Ground Turkey Skillet Dinner is exactly that.
This Simple Ground Turkey Skillet has been around in our dinner rotation for about 6 months now but I only recently thought to bring it to the blog. It has been our life saver recipe–the dinner that comes together easily and makes everyone happy. I get no complaints from any of the boys and Anthony even takes leftovers to work for lunch sometimes–that is if I don’t eat them first!
What makes this Ground Turkey Skillet so simple?
- The most time consuming part is cutting up the peppers and onions, BUT you can make it even quicker some nights by using frozen, pre-cut veggies. Our grocery has an onion/pepper mix so that comes in handy at times.
- Then there is also minute rice, a beautiful thing for nights when you need it most.
- One main pan is really all you need for this Ground Turkey Skillet dinner. Unless you make your rice in a pot, then two!
If you eliminate the time it typically takes to cook a pot of rice and cut veggies, you are talking dinner in about 15 minutes. Cook up the turkey and veggies, add in the spices, tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes and Ta-Da! Dinner!
Not a lot of good dinners come together that quickly. Sometimes the small shortcuts you can take are the difference between a home cooked meal and takeout. I prefer the home cooked, but after chasing Sam around all day, takeout often sounds better and better. This Ground Turkey Skillet Dinner is basically my go to in order to switch up the same old same old meals and have dinner on the table before delivery could even dream of being at our door.
Simple Turkey Pepper Skillet
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3-4 T tomato paste
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 T olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- Over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and peppers and heat 2-3 minutes until softened. Add garlic and allow to heat for another minute.
- Push veggies to the side of the pan ( allow that side of the pan to be off the burner) and add ground turkey and brown turkey until cooked through, mixing the veggies back in with the turkey.
- Once turkey is cooked through, turn the heat to low and add in tomato sauce, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, oregano, red pepper and salt and pepper. Stir well and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with shredded cheese and fresh parsley if desired!