Some say an apple a day, but I say an avocado a day! I typically squeeze in at least half of an avocado every day and there are so many amazing reasons to do so. These green gems pack in more potassium than a banana and give your body the healthy fats that it needs. They have also been noted to lower cholesterol and prevent cancer. Don’t forget, they taste amazing!
Today is Super Bowl Sunday. I am not a huge fan of football but I usually enjoy the things that come along with the sport. The commercials are always a great part of today’s game which is about the only time anyone will ever admit to actually watching the ads between their favorite programs. Then there is also the food. Super Bowl food is notorious for being far from nutritious. If you are in charge of a dish for the party or just want a snack for the whole family, then you can whip up some guacamole in ten minutes flat. Avocados fill you up as well so that is another added bonus.
This week, I discussed moderation. Don’t be so hard on yourself tonight and feel that you have to avoid everything on the table. That only backfires in the end. I have been in that position many times. Enjoy what you do eat and enjoy the conversations and the people you are with. And be safe!
Simple Game Day Guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados should be soft to touch
- 1 large or two small Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro loosely packed
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper more or less depending on how spicy you like it
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Sea Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Remove pits and scoop out insides of avocado into a small bowl. Gently mash.
- Add all other ingredients and stir well to combine. Add more seasoning to taste if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!