What’s for dinner?
This is the question that can drive me nuts more than anything because so often what I want, Anthony doesn’t. My tastes are very different from his and so the age old question that I can’t get away from is somewhere along the lines of What’s for dinner?/What do you want for dinner?/What should we have for dinner?
Some nights the answer is so simple and sometimes it’s a back and forth of I dunno, what do you want? and this ensues back and forth and back and forth, until I am too hungry to care or too hungry to even want to make an effort anymore.
I have tried to make weekly meal plans but it doesn’t seem to work in this household. I have tried grabbing items for several meals at a time while at the grocery but I hate when it goes to waste. So recently, I subscribed to Plated and gave that a try for the two of us. So far the results have actually been quite positive, but still want to try it out for a few more weeks before I give you my verdict. I will say one thing, over the past 4 weeks I have only completely ruined one meal so there is definitely that on the plus side. Dinner has been so much easier to decide on because 3 nights of the week, I don’t even have to think about it. And, I let Anthony pick the meals so that there is no way he can argue over choices.
I will let you know soon what I think, but for now, I will leave you with this simple Orange + Almond Broccoli Stir-Fry. It’s a quick weeknight dinner that requires little effort. Fresh or frozen broccoli can be used and you can also add in chicken, beef, tofu, you name it, whatever protein you desire.
I used to make a peanut stir-fry that had a hint of orange in it as well, but Anthony found the peanut flavor to be a bit strong. When I use almond butter, the flavor is more mild and he likes it a lot better. And he never has to know how little effort I put into a meal–he will always know that I put lots of work and time into what I put on the dinner table, so don’t let him know!
Orange + Almond Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1/3 c almond butter
- Juice of 1/2 navel orange
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 T soy sauce liquid aminos or tamari
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 T water
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper optional
- 4-5 c broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- 1/3 c sliced almonds
- In a mixing bowl, whisk stir-fry sauce together until smooth. Add more water if desired.
- In a skillet, heat 1 T sesame oil over medium high heat.
- Add broccoli, and stir-fry until tender and cooked through. (time for this will vary)
- Once broccoli is cooked, add sliced almonds and stir to toast about (2 minutes).
- Lower heat to low and add in sauce. Stir to coat broccoli evenly and heat on low for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve over rice or other grain and garnish with more sliced almonds and some orange zest as well if desired.