This Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice is as easy as tossing everything in and pressing start. Dinner is ready in a flash and with so little effort it almost seems to good to be true!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice: When there is no dinner plan…
I am really good at forgetting to thaw chicken for dinner so it looks like the Instant Pot and I are going to get along reeeeeeally well.
This is my first Instant Pot (pressure cooker) recipe on the blog and it is one heck of an easy one. I am still trying to figure this whole thing out but so far I have had pretty decent success.
Like I said, I don’t thaw my chicken at times, so tossing it in this brilliant machine was a hit. Brown rice takes a bit more than 20 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker so adding some frozen chicken never hurt either! I have not tried this one with thawed chicken just yet, so you might as well be just like me. Make this one on a night where you have no idea what to cook an have nothing prepped. It will be a winner for sure!
Since this recipe is all about being super quick, and I am still recovering from a stomach bug, then that is all I am gonna leave you with tonight. I will add some more notes as I continue to test the waters with my IP. Til then, try this easy Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice and have dinner ready in no time!
What you need to know before making this Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice:
- The recipe times are specific to brown rice. White rice cooks differently than brown rice so I don’t recommend using it. The brown rice is specifically so that you can use frozen chicken.
- I have added some diced green pepper and even some jalapeño to the recipe and we enjoyed both quite a bit. Whatever your mood may be, feel free to add them!
- Make sure you read your pressure cooker instructions and feel comfortable and confident using it. It’s a good idea to do a water test first if this is the first time. The manual will typically have you do a test run by boiling water in your Instant Pot. It is super helpful just to get to know the sounds and how to work it.
- I have made this several times with frozen chicken and it has turned out amazing.
Looking for more simple dinner recipes? Try these!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 2 lb chicken breasts
- 1 c brown rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 T chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash Hot sauce or smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 c cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Add measured rice, chicken broth and garlic to the bottom of Instant Pot (or any pressure cooker) and stir to combine. Place chicken breasts in and season well with salt and pepper.
- Top chicken with tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce (or smoked paprika) if desired. Gently mix the spices into the tomatoes.
- Close and lock Instant pot and turn steam release to sealing.
- Turn on to pressure cooker and set for 25 minutes. That's it! Walk away, read a book, chase the kids, whatever!
- At the end of 25 minutes, do a quick release by moving the steam release to venting.
- After steam has released completely, shred chicken (you can remove it with tongs to do this), add in cheese, and stir until melted. Top with lots of chopped cilantro.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!