These are the best Black Bean Burgers and have just the right amount of spice and a nice hint of lime. Switch up the menu for the BBQ and enjoy this simple delicious vegetarian burger recipe.
Summer time was made for these Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers
It has definitely felt like summertime for quite a bit now around here so it’s kind of crazy to think that the official start to the season is still a few days away. I find it hard to believe since we have been sweating our tails off for well over a month now, but it’s true.
Swimming pools, ice cold lemonade, ice cream cones, screaming children and more will fill the next several months. But the best part of all? The BBQs of course! Well, and the ice cream cones if you ask me!
My hubby, Anthony has never been a cook in any way, shape, or form. I always joke that he couldn’t cook a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if he tried. But when it comes to grilling, he is positive he is the master. And I won’t complain one bit about that!
We probably grill out at least 3 or 4 nights a week at our house. While Anthony is happy with a big piece of meat each and every night, that gets old to me sometimes. I am not a vegetarian but I don’t always want a steak or chicken and that can be an issue when it comes to the grill. We pack on the veggies grilling everything from asparagus to zucchini but I also want something else.
I found a recipe for a black bean burger a while back and was instantly hooked. I started making a batch at a time and freezing each individually. That way I could pull one out on nights that I wanted something besides a piece of salmon or whatever else was on the menu. While I liked the recipe I was using, I wanted to add a bit more flavor and fun to a black bean burger. I threw this one together and now this Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burger is my new obsession. They really are so very easy to make and are also fairly versatile. I have cut one up and tossed it in a salad, eaten it as a traditional burger, crumbled it up and used it as “taco meat” and also just eaten it plain as the patty itself.
If you have certain dietary needs, this burger can be made gluten free, dairy free and egg free. If you prefer a bit more kick to your burger, swap the chile out for a jalepeño instead.
So fire up the grill and get these burgers ready because summer is here!
Pro-Tips for making these the best Black Bean Burgers:
- The biggest issue with any veggie burger is getting them to really hold together. I have found that sometimes the mixture seems a touch too thin so adding more bread crumbs is a great solve. But my FAVORITE thing to do is to pop the mixture in the freezer for 20 minutes or so and then form them into burgers. This has made a huge difference!
- Spice level–take it where you like it! I play around with the amount of heat in these based on who is joining us for dinner. I have added a bit of siracha or hot sauce, opted for a jalapeño, or even just upped the red pepper flakes. Choose your own adventure!
- Don’t overcook these Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers–please! If you over cook them, then they will be dry. And no one wants a dry burger.
What to serve with your Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers:
- Guac, guac and more guac–because always be extra! This Spicy Mango Guacamole is perrrrfect with it!
- Sweet potato wedges or fries, my personal favorite!
- Pasta salad like this Simple Pasta Salad with Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini.
- This Roasted Sweet Potato Mexican Quinoa would be great, but skip the black beans or you may regret it later on.
- Grilled Corn of any kind!
- Chips–no shame in a good side of chips with your burger!
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 green Chile pepper (or jalapeño for kick!) seeds removed
- 1/4 of small red onion
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1 – 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs (more if mixture is too thin) whole wheat or gluten free, panko crumbs will work as well
- 1 egg or flax egg
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a food processor, process the chile pepper, onion, and garlic until finely ground. (You can finely dice them instead if desired!)
- Add in one can or two cups of black beans, cilantro, lime juice and spices. Pulse until combined (there should still be chunks of black beans.)
- Transfer the mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in the rest of the black beans, egg or flax egg, bread crumbs, and corn and stir until combined.
- Form into burger sized patties. (Sometimes I freeze this for about 15 minutes or so to help them form better into burgers.)
- Grill over medium low heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
- You can also cook these in a frying pan over medium heat until browned on each side.
Depending on the size of the patties, this will make about 6-8 burgers.
Feel free to freeze these as well.