Quick and easy, this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is packed with veggies, beans, corn and plenty of spice. This chunky, hearty soup recipe is ready in no time and with so little effort. Dinner is served!
I am really trying to multi-task right now and doing a terrible job of it. The Oscars are on in the background. I am pretty sure I haven’t seen a single movie that has been nominated but for some reason I keep looking up at what is going on. You can imagine it’s taken me about 25 minutes just to type this paragraph.
I may be talking Instant Pot tonight, but I am working far from speedy!
Good thing for the speediness of the Instant Pot–dinner was ready in about 20 minutes! Yes, friends you read that right. This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is an absolute breeze to whip up and all you have to do is toss all the ingredients in and then walk away. My dream of a dinner recipe right here! Right. Here.
Simple and quick tasty dinner recipes are always what I hear readers asking for. It is always a struggle to get a good, solid dinner on the table when the days are long and jam packed. The number of times I feel like saying, Let’s just order a pizza, each week is crazy.
But I buy groceries and try to plan out meals as best I can to stick to a budget. So ordering pizza every other night just won’t cut it. And while I could eat breakfast for dinner most nights, the husband would prefer some variety.
When it comes to dinner though, I can’t be two places at one time. Chasing a toddler and standing over a stove just can’t happen for me. My slow cooker and Instant Pot are the best two pieces of equipment in my kitchen. Hands down, the best. My slow cooker is for when I actually have a plan and my pressure cooker is for when I didn’t quite plan things out so well.
That’s not actually 100% true. Sometimes I do plan for the Instant Pot. And this is definitely one of those plans that went quite well. My mom used to make a thick chicken chili growing up that I loved. This tortilla soup reminds me a lot of that chili.
Juicy shredded chicken, beans, veggies, corn, just the right amount of spice–all cooked up in a snap. THAT’S the winning piece of this one. No time doesn’t have to be the reason for not making a good hearty dinner. And if you are exhausted and need to kick your feet up, you absolutely can once you turn the Instant Pot on.
There really aren’t a lot of things you can do to make this recipe any easier, but you could cut up the veggies ahead of time to cut out a few minutes. Other than that, brace yourself, its gonna be a nice and smoooooth ride. Toss everything in the pot, turn it on, set it for 10 minutes and you are all set!
Seriously, that’s it.
The hardest part will be making sure you are leaving the grocery with everything you need. That’s ALWAYS my biggest issue!!! Enjoy this one friends!
Things you need to know about this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- This soup can be made super thick and chunky or more on the broth side. Add about 2 cups of broth for thick and closer to 4 if you prefer yours much more broth based. It varies for me depending on my mood.
- Spice level can certainly be adjusted for this one. I typically have to play it safe for the little guy and then add all of the spice for Anthony and myself. You can play around with the type of salsa you use, adding more crushed red pepper, or changing up the paprika for smoked paprika (a MUST in my opinion!). So essentially you never have to make the same version twice!
- Toppings! That’s always where it’s at for me. We topped ours with lots and lots and lots of extra cilantro, shredded cheese, a dollop of either sour cream or Greek Yogurt and all of the tortilla chips! Anthony uses chips instead of a spoon when eating this one. I recommend it for sure. What else will you top your with? Oh, jalapeños are great too!
- While I just toss all the ingredients in the pot and go, you could also sauté the veggies first if you’d like. But that tags on extra time to the recipe, so don’t feel like you have to!
I have a few other Instant Pot recipes that I know you will love on the blog. Go check them out!
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, small diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 c chunky salsa
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 c corn
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2-4 c chicken broth
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 T cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 c cilantro, chopped
Place chicken breasts into pressure cooker. Add in veggies, beans, broth and spices. (Essentially everything but the cilantro).
Stir ingredients gently to allow the spices to mix.
Close Instant Pot (pressure cooker), lock it, and set steam release to "sealing" and set to pressure cook for 10 minutes and start.
When cook time is complete, allow for manual release of a bout 5 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure. Check that meat is 165°F and then pull breasts out individually and shred, placing back into the pot once shredded.
Add in the chopped cilantro, stir and then serve it up with your favorite toppings!