This simple Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake is a fluffy, moist cake ready in minutes and without all the clean up. Big juicy blueberries and refreshing lemon make this treat for one the best.
Have your lemon mug cake, and eat it too!
You know when you really want cake but you also don’t have time (or possibly the energy) to whip one up? For me, that’s about every time I want cake.
And since there aren’t a ton of mouths to feed in our house, baking a cake without a party just isn’t practical. That’s where the beauty of the mug cake comes in. We are talking cake in about 5 minutes. And one, maybe two dishes to clean. Sold? Yep. So am I.
Get ready for the next few posts being all about cake and celebration. I wanted to bring some fun celebratory recipes to go right along with our theme this month. Only a few days until Sam’s adoption finalization, his Baptism last week, our anniversary–April is officially our new best month. So let there be cake.
Mug Cake is the answer to your quick sweet tooth!
The thing about mug cake, is it is literally a matter of whisk, microwave and eat. So when you have a craving, you don’t need to run to the store, and you surely don’t need to pull out all the baking supplies. Just a few simple ingredients and you are set.
I feel like this recipe is actually a touch more like a Blueberry Lemon Mug Muffin since I am not sure entirely that this flavor falls in the popular cake flavor category, but Mug Cake just sounds better to me than Mug Muffin. If you were craving just a blueberry muffin, you could actually skip the lemon and it whips up a fluffy, moist blueberry muffin in minutes. So we will call this recipe a two for one!
I have a few other mug cakes on the blog including a Dark Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake as well as a Flourless Dark Chocolate Almond Mug Cake and while these are still great treats, the mindset I had when creating these recipes was, “How can I make a cake and avoid using sugar, flour and butter?” because those were “bad” foods to me at the time.
But this Blueberry Lemon version is the opposite. It’s cake, in the traditional manner, with the rich buttery flavor and all the good stuff that I love. And it is perfectly satisfying–so when you want your cake AND to eat it too, this is it!
What you need to make this Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake:
- Butter: Can’t have a good mug cake without this perfection, right?
- Sugar: I have made this with regular sugar or turbinado, raw sugar. The raw sugar gives it a bit more crunch if that makes sense. I enjoy that but it’s most certainly not for everyone.
- Flour: All purpose or gluten free all purpose both work fine.
- Milk: I have used both whole milk and almond milk at different points of testing this. Both were great!
- Greek Yogurt: Add a bit more moisture with some yogurt. Sour cream will work well too.
- Vanilla: Never make a cake without it!
- Lemon Zest: The more the better in my opinion. Feel free to go crazy!
- Blueberries: Fresh of frozen work well. I find the frozen to be a touch sweeter.
- Baking Powder: Make sure it is fresh and not expired and you are set!
Some things to know about this Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake:
- I understand not everyone can have certain ingredients, so modifications can certainly be made as needed. You could try a vegan butter if needing dairy free, or coconut oil may work but I haven’t tried it yet. I love turbinado sugar (raw sugar) in mine. And for gluten free, an all purpose gluten free flour should sub perfectly.
- Always make sure your baking powder is fresh and not expired. This can be one of the biggest issues in baked goods aside form improper measuring. Or maybe it’s just the top offender for me as I have been known to keep baking powder in the pantry waaaaaaay past expiration. Oops!
- Want something more like a traditional blueberry muffin? Skip the lemon! So basically this mug cake is a two for one, you’re welcome!
- The other things to note is that microwaves are not all equal. The time to heat may vary microwave to microwave, so you may have to play a bit of trial and error in the beginning.
Next time you find yourself craving a big slice of cake, whip this baby up–cake for one, the kind you don’t even need to share! Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake for the WIN!
Cake in just minutes!
- 1 1/2 T butter, melted
- 2 T granulated sugar or sweetener of choice
- 4 T flour (sub gluten free all purpose flour if needed)
- 2 T milk of choice
- 1 T Greek yogurt, plain (dairy free yogurt if needed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 10-12 blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- pinch of sea salt
Whisk together sugar, butter until smooth.
Add in vanilla, milk, and yogurt and whisk.
Add in sea salt, zest, baking powder and flour and whisk to combine.
Fold in blueberries.
Microwave on high for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds (more or less depending on your microwave.) in a microwave safe mug or dish.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and dig in!
If you prefer to bake this in the oven. Bake at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes.