Every now and then a recipe gets lost in the shadows of other recipes and then one day I see it and think, how have I NOT shared this one yet?!
My sincerest apologies for keeping this donut recipe from you for so long. It was not my best judgement to keep it on the back burner as it has been sitting in my queue since about October. But don’t the say the best that comes to those who wait? I mean, at least Heinz does!
First of all, I get it, these are technically just muffins in donut shape, right? That’s essentially what a baked donut is, but I truly believe that if it is in the shape of a donut then it is always way more fun to eat. And, a chocolate glaze covers much more surface area on a donut than a muffin, so we are keeping this one donut shaped!
When you add Greek Yogurt to the mix, you get a really great texture and much more moist donut than without it. These are fluffy and the perfect sink your teeth in donut. The chocolate glaze, while optional, really is the star of this recipe. I love a good chocolate glaze on my donuts so skipping it is really not the best option, I promise.
Does it have to be whole wheat? Not necessarily. I used whole wheat pastry flour, but I am pretty sure regular flour or a gluten free all purpose flour should substitute nicely. I topped mine with shredded coconut, but feel free to go crazy on toppings: chopped nuts, sprinkles, granola, anything goes.
I was planning on closing this post up with something like “Donut miss out on these…” or some sort of play on the word ‘donut’ but I think it may be better to just pass on that one for today. Anyway, enjoy and let me know what fun toppings you use!
Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Baked Donuts
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c milk of choice
- 1/3 c plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon optional but I loved it in these even with the glaze!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 T coconut oil melted
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 2 T milk of choice more if glaze seems too thick
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Toppings of choice: shredded coconut sprinkles, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, coconut oil, vanilla, yogurt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry donut ingredients. Add dry into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill well greased donut baking pan with batter.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients.
- Once donuts are cool, dip each into the glaze and sprinkle with toppings.
- Allow to set for a few minutes before serving.