Every so often, a recipe comes along that just blows me away. I start off pretty skeptic and then think, Oh, WOW. These Garlic + Basil Mini Quinoa Pizzas are one of those recipes.
I have been pretty skeptic of the whole new wave of alternative pizza doughs. Whether it be cauliflower, zucchini or who knows what else, all I can think is, come on, who are we really kidding? When you want pizza, you want PIZZA! And that is pretty spot on of the mindset that I started off with when I set off to create these pizzas. I was certain I was going to end up with another fail and would end up tossing away some goopy concoction at the end of it all.
Well, quite obviously that is not at all the way it ended up going. Even up to the moment I was putting these into the oven, I was wincing with the thought of my face when I tasted them. But in the end, I must say, these won my heart–and my taste buds of course!
If you’re like me, you may have had those cute little bagel bites as a kid. You had a choice with those suckers. Pop them in the microwave for extra chewy and not the tastiest, but you got your meal quickly or wait for what felt like hours for them to heat up in the oven. I am going to consider these pizzas my adult version of bagel bites. I get the protein of all the quinoa while I get my pizza fix with fresh herbs, tomato sauce and gooey cheese. And honestly, these can be made any way I want with any toppings at all!
These are so easy to make it’s almost silly. You just soak the quinoa for about 8 hours and toss it in to a blender with water and a few other things and your dough is ready. The hardest part is going to be to remember to soak the quinoa! So go on, enjoy your pizza party, your mini pizza party that is!
Garlic + Basil Mini Quinoa Pizzas
- 1 c quinoa uncooked (soaked in water for 8 hours and then rinsed)
- 1/4 c water
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder aluminum free
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1/2 garlic clove peeled
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Marinara or tomato sauce
- Cheese of choice optional
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make sure that the quinoa has been soaked for 8 hours at least and rinsed thoroughly.
- Add all crust ingredients to high powered blender and blend on high until smooth. It will have the consistency of pancake batter almost.
- Take a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread olive oil over the paper.
- Spoon dough onto the baking sheet to make small pizza sized circles.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until you can touch the top and it is firm.
- Add pizza ingredients aside from basil and return to oven.
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes more until the edges of the pizzas begin to brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped basil.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before digging in!