Sweet strawberries, a touch of cream and hearty oats make for a perfect breakfast on the go! This Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats recipe is a simple and delicious breakfast recipe. Prep them the night before and breakfast is ready when you are!
Strawberry Shortcake for breakfast? Why, yes, please!
Well okay, let’s be honest, the name of this recipe is a little misleading. No, I did not technically figure out a way to morph strawberry shortcake into a bowl of oats, but I wouldn’t say it’s entirely off. There is a sweet and even creamy strawberry flavor to these oats that has a slight resemblance to strawberry shortcake. But let’s be real, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
The only real thing missing though is chunks of a light and fluffy cake so if you are feeling crazy, then have at it! Well and whipped cream as well!
The part of this recipe that seals the deal to this is mashing the strawberries with a touch of maple before adding them into the oats. Sure, you could just slice up strawberries for these Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats and toss them in, but this simple step is what I think makes this more like the gelled strawberries in the popular desert. I also am a big fan of cashew butter and adding this into the overnight oats adds a thickness and richness to the flavor. I am getting hungry now as I type this!
Breakfast on the go is typically what happens in our house. So having pre-made jars of overnight oats in the fridge ready in the morning makes life so much easier!
Things to know about this Strawberry Shortcake Overnight Oats recipe:
- The cream in this recipe is totally optional, but just a touch of it turns your basic breakfast to WOW. It is so creamy and delicious with just a little.
- Cashew butter–it’s not the cheapest nut butter out there, I know. I get it pretty nicely priced at Aldi here and there, but everywhere else I feel like it is almost ten dollars for a jar and that isn’t cool. To be honest, sometimes I add it to this recipe, and sometimes I don’t I find that it thickens up the oats and adds a rich nutty flavor, but if you don’t have any, don’t stress.
- Need this gluten free? Use gluten free oats. Do you need to skip the dairy? Almond milk or any other plant milk will work just fine.
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 5-6 medium strawberries cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cashew butter (or almond butter)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tsp cream (optional, but amaaaazing)
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- Dash of sea salt
In a small bowl, mash strawberries along with 1 tsp pure maple syrup, until jam like.
In a jar or bowl that can be sealed, combine all ingredients and stir well to combine.
Cover and allow to chill overnight.
Enjoy hot by warming in the microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes or eat chilled!