Peanut butter and chocolate together just never gets old to me. I cannot get enough of it to be honest.
I am a sucker for No Bake recipes. One of the biggest reasons is that they are so much more fail-proof than those that require baking. The bonus is also that they take so much less time! While I love to bake, I just find that the odds are not nearly as much in my favor when experimenting with different recipes so I often just go the safe route.
These No Bake Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies were inspired by the holiday peanut butter cookies with the cute little Hershey Kisses pressed into them. The difference though is the fact that these contain no flour, no refined sugar and nothing but pure, real food ingredients. Honestly, these may taste like a treat, but there is so much goodness packed into these cookies that if you grabbed a few for breakfast, you would be just fine really.
The list of ingredients is few and the dark chocolate filling adds some coconut oil to your day along with antioxidant rich cacao powder. Seriously, does it get any better from a cookie?
I know that some of us out there have peanut allergies and if that is the case, I think that subbing almonds and almond butter for this recipe would be just fine.
Always remember to treat yourself! Balance comes with allowing yourself to enjoy the sweetness that food can be as well. Just because you may be staying away from processed and refined sugar doesn’t mean that treats are off limits too. And this sweet treat may even be perfect for the holiday cookie trade. So simple and so delicious, and no one will even know how nutritious they actually are!
No Bake Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts unsalted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 T natural creamy peanut butter
- 9-11 medjool dates pitted
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
For Dark Chocolate Filling
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp cacao powder The extra 2 tsp. thickens to almost a frosting. Can omit for a thinner chocolate
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- In a food processor, process peanuts until very fine.
- Add in dates, peanut butter, vanilla and salt and process until a dough starts to form.
- Roll into balls and then press a hole into the ball with thumb. Then press to flatten the cookie.
- Place on plate or parchment lined dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients for the chocolate filling together.
- Spoon the chocolate into the thumbprint holes of each cookie. If you use the extra 2 tsp. of cacao, this will be spreadable as well like a frosting.
- Let chill for about 20-30 minutes so chocolate can set.