I had heard all the craze about the super nutritious and beneficial acai berry quite a few times over the past 6 months or so. What I hadn’t heard was that this berry was made of gold, because everywhere I went to try to order one of these trendy new acai bowls, the cost was an upwards of $10. Seriously? No thank you!
So I did some research to see if there was a more wallet friendly way to have this nutritious bowl and was a bit happier with what I found. You can find packets of acai puree in the freezer section at some health food grocery stores for about $7.00. That brings the cost to less than $2.00 per serving. That made me smile! But then I saw you can get them in bulk at Costco and I nearly jumped for joy!
So what really is so great about the acai berry?
- These berries are loaded with antioxidants (twice the amount found in blueberries and ten times the amount in grapes!)
- They promote heart health.
- Looking for some beautiful skin? Get it from acai!
- Acai berries improve mental function.
- Feeling tired? Add some acai to your smoothie for an energy boost!
- Slow down the aging process with the acai berry.
- They aid in digestion.
And. So. Much. More.
Seriously, these berries pack a lot of power into their little selves.
So back to the bowl itself. An acai bowl is made as a really thick smoothie that you can eat with a spoon and typically is garnished with an assortment of things like granola, bananas, berries, chia seeds, goji berries, nuts, seeds and more. There’s a lot of room for variety so you could eat one every morning for breakfast and never get bored! You can toss everything in the blender and once it’s smooth, breakfast or even a snack is served! And with this Cocoa Acai Bowl, you get to have chocolate for breakfast. I know what you are thinking, more antioxidants for my morning, right?! That’s exactly it!
- 2/3 frozen banana
- 1 100 g packet acai puree
- 1 T cacao powder
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Optional garnishes: cacao nibs coconut, sliced banana, berries, chia seeds and more!
Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and top with desired garnishes.