A classic treat from childhood, but still perfectly delicious at any age! Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats are a simple no bake treat that combine peanut butter and chocolate for a delicious dessert!
Rice Krispie Treats: for the kid in us all!
As a kid, ooey gooey Rice Krispie Treats were certainly a delicious treat. But what about when you are a grown up?
Shouldn’t you get to enjoy this childhood favorite too? Of course!
Sometimes I think I really should have named this blog Chocolate and Peanut Butter. I hope that this combination never gets old for you because it never gets old for me! These Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats give you the childhood nostalgia!
Now that I have updated and photographed this recipe, I feel like the name Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats may be a touch misleading. There definitely aren’t any Reese Cups in these–perhaps I will need to make that happen though. However, they have peanut butter and chocolate so I doubt anyone is really going to complain.
5 Ingredients in these Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats!
What I love about these treats is that I have everything in the pantry just about all the time to make them. Only 5 ingredients and all basics thats so many of us tend to have around the house! I always get way too excited when I actually have all of the ingredients for a recipe I want to make that I find on Pinterest or something. This one is exactly that for me.
Plus, they take me back to my childhood. Food with memories, that’s always where it’s at.
To be honest, you COULD skip the chocolate layer if you just wanted the peanut butter part. I have had them that way as well–I don’t find them to be quite as good, but they are still tasty as well!
Things to know before making these Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats:
- I prefer natural peanut butter, the kind you have to stir because it stirs really well and it’s nice and drippy. I highly suggest using it as well if possible.
- Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave or use the double boiler method. I have better luck with the double boiler method but everyone has their favorite procedure and that’s fine!
- Everything is tastier with a drizzle of chocolate–and by that I mean a lot of drizzles. Feel free to add it as well after chocolate as set!
Love all things Rice Krispie treats? You will LOVE these Funfetti Rice Krispie Treat Pops too!
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter or other nut butter (I use a full cup for extra gooey treats!)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 heaping cup of dark chocolate chips
In a small sauce pan, heat peanut butter, maple/honey, and vanilla over low heat until melted and combined evenly.
Pour mixture into large mixing bowl and begin to pour in cereal a cup at a time and stir to evenly coat.
Press mixture (press really hard!) into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper and allow to cool.
To make the chocolate coating, use a double boiler method. Fill a small sauce pan halfway with water, and bring the water to a boil. Place a glass bowl with chocolate chips on top. Stir constantly until smooth.
Pour chocolate coating over peanut butter mixture and spread evenly with a spatula.
Chill until chocolate has set.
Cut into squares and serve!
For photos of double boiler method, go to the following link: