Sometimes you feel like a nut, right? Then this simple and delicious Almond Joy Smoothie recipe is for you! Coconut, chocolate and almond goodness with some veggies to really kick it up a notch!
I had a craving from something sweet and chocolatey and coconut-y.
Coconut-y? Is that a word? Pretty sure it’s not but oh well. I wanted something with chocolate and coconut, you get the point. I saw a chocolate smoothie online and an Almond Joy at the grocery and that’s all she wrote! So I decided it was time to jazz up my smoothie. So I did. This Almond Joy smoothie is delicious and perfect for breakfast or a snack It could be for breakfast or an afternoon pick me up.
I used to always have smoothies first thing in the morning but I am much more likely to have a mid-afternoon sip these days. They feel much more like a snack to me plus, I am typically eating overnight oats so there is that as well.
But this one is something I would certainly go to bed dreaming about–waking up to this deliciousness wouldn’t be too bad at all. Am I right?! There is spinach in Almond Joy Smoothie, but you don’t have to add it–I don’t taste it and since I added the cocoa powder the color is still a nice chocolate brown. Oh, and whipped cream is optional for sure, but very much encouraged!
Almond Joy Smoothie for the win, friends!
If you stick around here on the blog long enough, you will know that coconut and chocolate is one of my favorite combos. I make my Almond Joy Bars several times a month! And Almond Joy Overnight Oats? Those are a thing as well! Check out more of this amazing combo on the blog!
What you Need To Make this Almond Joy Smoothie:
- Frozen Banana–I always opt for a frozen banana versus adding ice to thicken and cool my smoothies up.
- Spinach–get some greens!
- Coconut–unsweetened and shredded (If you can’t find unsweetened, then just omit the maple)
- Cocoa powder
- Milk–regular or dairy free is great. I usually do whole or unsweetened vanilla almond milk for this smoothie
- almonds–unroasted, unsalted
- almond and vanilla extract–just a pinch of each
- a touch of maple or sweetener, optional and to your liking
DID YOU MAKE ONE OF MY RECIPES? LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW! I ALSO LOVE TO SEE YOUR LEMONS + ZEST RECIPES ON SOCIAL MEDIA–TAG ME @LEMONSANDZEST ON INSTAGRAM OR FACEBOOK!
- 1 banana frozen
- 1 Handful of baby spinach
- 3 T unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 T cocoa powder
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- 3/4 cup milk (regular or dairy free)
- 8-10 almonds
- 1/4 tsp almond extract you can add a bit more, but almond extract can be pretty strong so start small.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup optional
- 3-5 ice cubes
Combine all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
Serve immediately or refrigerate.